Saturday, August 17, 2013

Corporation Commission gets an earful over smart meters


Corporation Commission gets an earful over smart meters

Posted on: 10:30 pm, August 14, 2013, by updated on: 11:30pm, August 14, 2013

OKLAHOMA CITY — Supporters and protesters plead with the Oklahoma Corporation Commission over smart meters. The courtroom was packed and the lines were clearly drawn between those who say they’re affected by smart meters, and those who dismiss their claims.
“Its like you’re living in a microwave with pulsing, pulsing, pulsing and you can’t get away,” said Monique Smith.
She is one of two dozen Oklahomans speaking before the Corporation Commission asking them to take a critical look at smart meters.
“I’m in too much pain. It may not affect you, part of me wishes all of you were affected so you would know how we feels. It’s not like we would make this up. I can’t even live in my beautiful home anymore,” she said tearfully.
Smith and her doctors believe she became sick after the smart meter was installed on her home.
But this hearing was actually called to hear Sherry Lamb’s case. She has the same story. Lamb’s attorney’s argued on her behalf.
“I have clients from eight different counties and all of them have been impacted by smart meters from different providers,” said Don Powers.
Their side references studies that shows 3 percent of the population is hypersensitive to smart meters and 30 percent will be in the future. OG&E disagrees with that science.
“The federal communications commission has promulgated regulations that set maximum exposure limits for any device emitting radio frequency radiation,” said attorney Kimber Shoop.
The Public Utility Division of the Corporation Commission has been investigating – and right now – agrees with OG&E.
But customers who’ve watched their love ones health deteriorate continue to plead. “I spent 23 years in the military,” said Billy Smith. “I served our nation very proudly and I stand before you and plead that you consider this sir my wife is sick”
The judge ultimately decides to request more information – from both sides.
“I’m a little bit disappointed that I didn’t get a chance to speak but I was pleased with most of the people that spoke for me,: said Sherry Lam. “I’m just very hopeful and confident things will move forward.”
“I think the judge took the right approach. He’s asking for additional information to weigh over the next several weeks and we’ll come back together for a new hearing,” said Brian Alford with OG&E
Those against smart meters at least want the opportunity to opt out in Oklahoma. So far, 11 states have an opt out clause. Some companies make customers pay a slightly higher fee –others waive it.
http://kfor.com/2013/08/14/corporation-commission-gets-an-earfull-over-smart-meters/

No comments:

Post a Comment